Inauguration of the Mangalore Diocesan Unit of World Apostolate of Fatima at St. Anthony’s Charity Institutes Jeppu, India on 24th Feb 2016
The service began with Rosary at 9 am at St Anthony’s Chapel. This was followed by Fatima Reparatory Adoration in this Jubilee Year of Mercy led by Fr Alphy D’Silva from Karwar. Bishop Peter Machado, Bishop of Belgaum and Ecclesiastical Advisor of World Apostolate of Fatima was the main celebrant at Mass with 9 concelebrants. Msgr Denis Moras Prabhu, Vicar General of Mangalore Diocese was the homilist and focused on the importance of the Most Holy Rosary.
The inaugural function followed in the hall graced by Most Rev Dr Aloysius Paul D’Souza: Bishop of Mangalore, Bishop Peter Machado, Msgr Denis Moras Prabhu, Fr M.V. Sunny: WAF National Chairman of Raiganj. Also present were Administrator: Rev. Francis D'Souza, Director: Rev. Onil D'Souza and Asst. Director: Rev. Peter Gonsalves of St. Anthony’s Charity Institutes. Fr Francis was the main host and also WAF National Ex Bd member. Flower bouquets and Rose buds were offered at Bishop Aloysius’ hands followed by lighting of the lamp. A statue of Our Lady of Fatima was gifted to Bishop Aloysius. The dignitaries briefly spoke.
Bishop Aloysius testified to praying 3-4 Rosaries daily.
Bishop Peter considered the Fatima Apparitions as the second Lepanto. Dr Celcio Dias: WAF National Vice Chairman was the MC.
Fr. M.V. Sunny gave a presentation on the Fatima Message and Apparition narratives. Dr Celcio Dias also spoke on the Forgotten Message, First Saturdays, Consecration and Centenary. This was followed by lunch and then interaction with the Mangalore participants who wished to know more about the WAF. Besides the clergy, about 80 attended including nuns and Legion of Mary members.
At 3pm WAF National Executive Board meeting was held. Members present were Fr M.V. Sunny: Chairman from Raiganj, Dr Celcio Dias: Vice Chairman and Mr. Anthony Viegas: Secretary both from Goa, Fr Alphy D’Silva: Treasurer from Karwar, Fr Francis D’Souza from Mangalore, Fr John Charuvila from Bathery, Mrs Carmen Vaz from Bombay and Mr James Lingam from Calcutta. Fr Lawrence Rayappan of Meerut could not attend.
1) Inauguration of the Mangalore Diocesan Unit of World Apostolate of Fatima under Fr Francis D’Souza with focus on the pleas of Our Lady of Fatima: Five First Saturdays: Eucharistic and Marian Reparation, Pilgrim Virgin Statue Visitations, etc.
2) Regional/ Diocesan Marian Congresses for the Fatima Centenary in Calcutta on 19 May 2016 and Krishnagar on 20 May 2016….more being planned.
3) Letter from Bishop Peter to other Bishops: For fruitful celebrations of the Centenary of the Fatima Apparitions with a request to appoint a suitable Priest in their Diocese for coordinating a half day Diocesan Marian Congress climaxing with Eucharistic celebrations. Bishop Peter is most willing to attend followed by our National Ex Bd meet similar to the Mangalore one.
4) Meeting of city Parish priests, Religious Heads and Heads of pious associations on 31st March 2016. Bishop will preside. Programmes for centenary year will be drawn.
5) Sunday, 29th May was the official inauguration of the Centenary year of Fatima apparitions by the Bishop of Mangalore.
About 2,000 attended from 12 Parishes in the Deanery.
After the inaugural mass, was procession to Our Lady of Miracles Church reciting the rosary.
This concluded with the Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Statue started VISITING 117 PARISHES in the Diocese.
Books done for this in Konkani. Faithful are coming in big numbers.