Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ;
I would like to take this opportunity to present to you for your consideration a proposal for an international youth program in Fatima for 2017 (or even 2016 if possible as a for runner) and as part of this proposal, a Consecration Day for all the Young People of the World, those present at Fatima and those participating in Dioceses and other Shrines around the world, to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Fatima has always had a special place in my heart. My parents were married on October 13th, my father having a strong devotion. It was reading a book on the story of Fatima that at the age of 24, I began a journey of conversion back to the Faith. That journey passed through Medjugorje, where I founded the International Youth Gathering which takes place each summer drawing 70,000 young people for a week long program.
I visited Fatima after the World Youth Day at Santiago De Compostella in 1989 to pray
about the call of John Paul II for a New Evangelization to all the young people. It was during a period of prayer inside the Adoration Chapel that the inspiration and vision for Youth 2000 came. A spiritual initiative to draw young people through Mary to the Heart of her son Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. Since the last 25 years, many hundreds of thousands of young people around the world have attended Youth 2000 retreats, conducted in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, exposed in the centre of the
gatherings. I myself was also for a period of time at a Monastery in Fatima discerning a vocation to the priesthood.
The plan is for the Shrine of Fatima take up this very special program for young people that honors the Immaculate Heart of Mary and is a sign for the Church and the World. A gathering that unlocks the gift of Mary’s Immaculate Heart and allows the Light of Fatima to shine forth to young people in a new way.
I have shared this proposal with Fr.Carlos, Rector of the Fatima Shrine, who has welcomed the initiative. I look forward to hearing your opinions on the proposal in the enclosed “Two Hearts 2017” document and the opportunity to talk with you about supporting its realization both in Fatima and in the Universal Church.
With every blessing in Christ through the Heart of Mary;
Clothed with the Sun
International Youth Gathering Fatima August 1st to 6th
World Youth Consecration Day August 6th
Fatima Centenary Celebration 2017
Magnificent Clothed with the Sun
1. Mission Statement
To prepare young people, the future of the Church, to receive anew in all fullness the gift of the Immaculate Heart of Mary - the Grace of True Consecration to the Father, Jesus Christ His Son and the Holy Spirit.
Through this proposed youth gathering at Fatima, where the Blessed Virgin revealed the Father’s Will to establish devotion to her Immaculate Heart, and in associated Shrines and Parishes around the world, to initiate working in a new way and spirit for the evangelization and consecration of young people in preparation for the triumph of Mary’s Heart and the reign of Jesus Christ Her Son.
May the Gift of Fatima, the Heart of Mary, be opened and the fire of the Holy Spirit fall anew upon young people, setting there hearts ablaze with the Love of God.
2. International Youth Program
Magnify the Lord (Luke 1,46-55)
In realization of the Mission Statement, an international program for young people is proposed at the Fatima Shrine August 1st to 6th and in parallel at other participating locations around the world. The program
has the following core components:
A multilingual spiritual retreat consisting of the following key elements:
• Duration of 5 days in Fatima, finishing at sunrise Feast of Transfiguration with a Mass of Consecration.
• Teaching centered on Scriptural Reflections about Mary’s life in the Holy Family, her witness to Christ and His work of redemption, her role together with St.Joseph in the spiritual life of a young person, in a language meaningful and helpful.
• Workshops exploring these teachings and there relationship to the spiritual journey of Faith for a believer, the call to evangelization and the challenge to build a new civilization of truth and love
• Liturgy and Worship to throw light on the meaning of the gift and mystery of Mary’s Immaculate Heart
The spirituality of the gathering should have the following character:
• Spiritual teaching and worship to be conducted in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament, centered in the midst of the gathering, in a joyful spirit of meditation, praise and adoration.
• The young people to be prepared and led through prayer and spiritual instruction, in a total consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Holy Spirit.
• Consideration to be given to the design of a special monstrance reflecting the mystery of Mary’s Immaculate Heart to be used throughout the program
2.3 Mission of Evangelization
The gathering is not intended to be a one off event but the catalyst for a New Evangelization through the Heart of Mary. To this end it is envisaged that the gathering will be a yearly international event at the Fatima Shrine with the following mission goals:
• Foster gatherings for the total consecration of young people to the Heart of Mary in Catholic Dioceses and Parishes around the world
• Creation of Young People’s Prayer Groups Consecrated to the Heart of Mary and the distribution of rosaries to young people around the world
• Concretely working to help young people fulfill of words of Jesus in Math 25, 35-36 and the Commandment to Love in John 15,17.
3. Two Hearts - World Youth Consecration Day
Clothed with the Sun (Rev 12,1-6)
Following the International Youth Program in Fatima, a worldwide celebration of Mary’s Life in the Holy Family and Witness to Christ in the Universal Church:
• All night vigil from evening of August 5th simultaneously in Fatima, Marian Shrines and Dioceses around the world concluding with a World Youth Consecration Day to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary during Holy Mass at sunrise on the Feast of the Transfiguration August 6th.
• The Consecration Day to be commemorated with a Special Rosary of the Triumph of the Two Hearts of Mary and Jesus, to be the catalyst of a new mission of Evangelization to young people.
4. Ecumenical Dimension
Other Christian Denominations and Faiths that honor the Virgin Mary are welcome to participate in the youth program at Fatima or in there own communities.
Young people may participate in the following locations:
• In the Shrine of Fatima, at the Official Gathering
• In participating Dioceses and Shrines in other countries following the same program, linked to the Fatima Gathering through the Global Communications Social Media and Internet
It is proposed that an organizational committee be formed consisting of:
• Rector of the Fatima Shrine
• World Apostolate of Fatima
• Representatives of Catholic Dioceses and Marian Shrines around the World
• Marian Movements and Religious and Lay Organizations in the Church
• Ecumenical Marian Association representation